torsdag 27 februari 2014

Areal progress

Thursdays are areal days. This was the 4th areal class and today it felt like I actually have made some progress.

We started the morning with trapeze class, and we worked on the moves we learned. To pass our assessment we need to make a routine with at least seven moves, and now it feels realistic and not overwhelming as it did the first class.



Here are my friends on the static trapezes practicing. I took this picture because it looked nice when they where all standing in the same position. I actually use my cell phone camera quite much during areal class to take videos and pictures of different positions. Writing them down can help a little but most of the time the notes themselves without pictures don't make any sense at all.

Here I am practicing the "gazelle" move on static trapeze.


In areal class, you need tight fitting clothes. I use socks when I am on the trapeze, because otherwise me feet hurt too much from the friction from the ropes and the bar. When climbing the rope it is possible to wear socks, but it makes it harder. The rope is quite stiff and I am trying to get used to it for my hands and feet. When climbing the silks it is impossible to wear socks because they will makes you slide down. The reason I have long sleeves and legs covered is to protect my body from burns if I would slide down a rope, trapeze or silks.


In the afternoon we could choose what to do between rope, silks and more trapeze. I have always been fascinated by the silks so I went for that. I felt like I did considerably better than the last time, which was actually my first time. I learned how to go into hip lock from Russian climb, and then I worked with a series that my friend though me. This is another proof that the other students at this course are the best!


It doesn't look as elegant as I am feeling when climbing the silks but I really enjoy climbing them. You really need arm strength to climb the silks and rope, but professional arealists make it look so easy. I look forward to do the next areal class, and to master my new (and only) silk move.

My beginner top tips for silks for today:
  • Before you start to climb, pull down the silks a little because the fabric is a little bit elastic.
  • Try to not look at you feet when climbing, to learn to "feel" where the fabric is.
  • In hip lock, keep you legs straight and even if you have to push our hips forward you should at the same time feel like you are in a pike position.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar