torsdag 20 februari 2014

Arty adventures in London

Art adventure times in London! During my weekend in London I saw many different kinds of art, from serious Tate Moderns paintings to street art, and random telephone booths.

Kulturgumman nr 2 slår till igen!

Street art
My feelings towards street art are very torn, because I usually like it when it is something more than just a random tag. Street art seems to often have many more aspects than just the art itself, the location, material, style and so on often reflects the surroundings more than art in museums. The street art is very direct and has a different approach in every city and makes them alive. I think cities without any street art seems dead. On the other hand I respect other property, which makes street art to a difficult topic to discuss since I understands both sides of the discussion if it belongs in cities or not. But you cant suppress art so street art will always bee there.

Street art in Notting Hill.


Street Art in Oxford Circus.

Street art in Camden.
Street art near Tate Modern.

A bar (?) near Tate Modern.
Everyday life art
I also saw some typical London art that was made up in the situation. If London is a color it would doubtless be red. If the phone booth had been an old style one this picture would have been perfect with the bus, phone booth and post box. Bus as my architectural teacher in Luleå once said: Make it beautiful and then make something that disturbs it to make it interesting.


Another view with three (!) phone booths in a row. This was almost to much for my tourist heart. What about the gap between the first and the second booth? Is there one missing booth? The gap makes it even better since it makes in asymmetrical, but the view is held together by the identical phone booths.


A nice car. Art?


Creative window displays
Near Notting Hill I saw this window display for a café (?) selling sparkling tea drinks. I didn't try them out, but I really liked their creative and scientific inspired window and I thought of all my friends studying chemistry. This picture is for you.


Street performance
In Notting Hill I saw a man that had dressed up as Charlie Chaplin, with appropriate music from the Chaplin movies to his motions and acting. Now when I am doing the performance course I had changed my view on street artists from being sometimes quite annoying to thinkting that they are interesting, and liked to watch him interact with the tourists. My friend in Luleå once said that as soon as you stop to look at a street performer, you owe them money. Some years ago at the Gothenburg Cultural Festival, the street artists said that even though the audience really enjoyed their performances, they would run away as quickly as they could or sent their children with almost no money to put in the hat. I think street performers are worth to be paid for the show they set up in the streets (and then getting payed depending on how good they are).


Fun things
This picture is actually not on the shiny ball but a secret picture of the happy people slightly to the left. The girl is actually spinning on some round platform that would spin around. I like the idea of a more interactive and playful city, som I liked the "spinning platforms" more than these strange round shiny things.


Tried to take a picture of myself in this selfie world. You can see bothe the reflection of me and St Pauls!


Statues
Who said statues need to be don tin marble in the antique Greece? Freddy Mercury as a commercial sculpture in plastic gold was nice to see as well.


Wall decorations
At Camden Lock Market I saw a lot of street art, but also some very decorated shops. You can see the at the houses to the left in this picture. There were everything from guitars to shoes hanging from the walls.



Near Westminister I saw this fountain outside a hospital when I was supposed to watch the House of Parliament. I thought that "this looks really like something made by Naum Gabo with the water going in that typical pattern" but I couldn't find any signs to read some information since I was outside the hospital park. Back here in Sheffield, I googled it and it was Naum Gabo as I thought! I am childly proud of this since I don't now almost any other Russians sculptors at all.


Tate Modern
I visited Tate Modern because they had an exhibition on Paul Klee that I wanted to see. I don't like everything Paul Klee has done, but some parts I think is really good. I especially wanted to see some of his funny animal paintings but there weren't so many of them. I was a big exhibition with 17 room woch pictures from different times of Klee's career. It was not allowed to take any photos inside the exhibition.

After that I looked around in some of the free exhibitions and took this photo that looks like the neon signs of Pure Gym not so far away from my house. I am not sure I like this kind of art, and if I do I don't think that this should be displayed in a museum, but in the "real world". As well as art this could be some kind of house decor or signs or something else.

Fashion
There was London fashion week during my stay which could be seen at some places. All the big shops at Oxford Circus announced for different events, and when I was at Tate Modern I saw how they built up the runway for Topshop's collection. Because of fashion week (or the stylish Londonders or my imagination) I saw a lot of people dressed up in interesting way, walking around like living art.

Photo of the construction of Topshops Runway inside Tate Modern

I did some other things as well in London so there will be more posts!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar