lördag 22 februari 2014

More architecture adventures in London

I started my last Saturday morning with walking around in the Notting Hill area, with large white Victorian townhouses. This is an expensive area I think, but yet I read in the newspaper at the hotel that there as well are many empty houses in the Notting Hill area compared to other parts of London since they often have foreign owners that may not use their house at all.






Later that day I was looking for the NLA - London's center for built environment., but I stumbled upon the Architectural Association. I was walking around taking pictures on the outside when a teacher (?) who was leaving tolg me that it was open to the public to walk around the school inside and look at some exhibitions. He also told me that the Bedford Square where AA is located is London's best preserved Georgian building area. The Georgian style was about between 1700 and 1800 and is characterized by strict symmetry, for example the door is almost always is the middle and the windows are always symmetrically arranged.



As you can see the first floor was the best and most important one and therefor most decorated. The windows and door often had cornice decorations.

Typical for Georgian are decorated plaster ceilings the teacher on the outside had told me, so inside the building I was looking at this. He also said that this photo exhibition room felt bigger when the walls was not painted black.



Inside AA I also looked at the post graduates small exhibition and an other exhibition called Third Natures with work from the architects Christina Diaz Moreno and Elfrén Garcia Grinda. I liked the different models the best because they inspired me to use different kind of materials and colors when building models.




 The first one was called "The cherry blossom palace", and when I took closer look the pieces had some small marks so I think it has been cut out by a machine which could arrange them this way. The second one is interesting because it uses medical pills, and I like the feathery feeling of the fabric mounted by the needles in the last one.

NLA - Londons center for built environment had quite small exhibitions and it seemed like they were renovating everything inside.


They had a gigantic model over London, and plates that explained different goals for each part of the city.


On the way home I saw the BT Tower.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar