fredag 7 februari 2014

Sheffield and Millenium Galleries

Today after the dance class I took the bus together with B to find the tourist information. We found it, looked for a while at brochures and then we headed to the library. Then, my plan was to walk around Sheffield to get to know the city better.

I ended up finding the Millennium Galleries when I walked inside the Winter Garden building. It looked like a nice museum and it was free entrance so I decided to take a look.



I didn't take any proper pictures of the Millennium Galleries but I took even more pictures of the Winter Gardens before I got in because I really like the arches and designs of this building.

Inside Millennium Gallery I watched four different exhibitions: Ruskin Collection, Metal work Collection, Printing Sheffield and Inside the circle of fire: A Sheffield sound map.

The Ruskin Collection showed the life of John Ruskin, an English art critique and poet. The exhibition was mostly on different stones he had collected and illustrations of birds.



The Metal Work exhibition described the history of Sheffield from a steel producing point of view, since Sheffield has a long history of steel production. There where displays of different goods made of steel, and also a little about how to produce steel.



There was also a display of some unusual tools. Guess what they were used for?



The first one is a egg slicer to remove the top part from a boiled egg, from around 1900.
The second one is a lemon squeezer to squeeze out juice from lemons, from 1800s.
The third one some kind of protection to prevent knitting needles from tangling when not knitting from 1770.

I still think those a quite smart inventions.

The "Printing in Sheffield" was almost like an art exhibition with contemporary prints with relation to Sheffield.


I didn't take any photos in the last exhibition "Inside the circle of fire: A Sheffield sound map", because there was nothing to take a photo of since it was a sound exhibition with sounds from Sheffield. I heard Industry sounds, trains, church bells, bird sounds and blowing wind. It was coll though that the sound was recorded with ambisonic microphones that could also preserve the direction of the sounds.

I really recommend visiting the Millennium Galleries as it was a nice museum with a good size of each exhibition. Link to Millennium Galleries.

And now some more pictures of Sheffield:


Note the very English phone booth in the middle of the picture. I tried to use a phone booth at the train station the day I arrived to Sheffield, but either it was broken or I did something wrong. I didn't try this one.


This is the cathedral of Sheffield. It was bombed during the second world war where Sheffield was a target because of the industry in the city. Some parts of the church are preserved and some parts are built afterwards.


 A nice view to another church that I later saw was called Cathedral church of St Marie.

When the sun started to set I went back to Audrey Gate to take the bus back home.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar