tisdag 11 februari 2014

Clowning day and areal night

The week has started again and we are continuing with the circus training. We spent the whole Monday doing clowning exercises, which was all totally new to me so I had no idea what to expect from that class, but I really enjoyed it. At the same time as it was fun and enjoyable, it was also a bit frightening because as a modern clown there is really not much to "hide" behind, but you have to be a little bit of yourself in some way. We didn't do clowning as "clown with red nose slips and fall to the ground", but modern clowning where everyone was allowed to find what style they had. I must say that it felt surprisingly good when people laughed at me. 

We where also playing some games and discusses the differences between humans and clowns, like the way they think, act and what tactic they have in life. We also did many exercises in breathing and taking it slow, as a beginner clown can rush and do to many things to try to be funny. It is also very important to feel relaxed and like you enjoy life, because the audience will mirror you behavior on stage.

In the evening I went to a beginners areal class which was open for public, because I wanted to practice a little extra on my areal skills. I hadn't done any areal whatsoever before I came here so it is a real challenge for me, but very fun.

There are two hard things with the static trapeze for me, and they are strength and positioning. Areal performance requires a lot of upper body and shoulder strength, and uses muscles that I am not used to use. Yesterday night, I also had blisters on my hands and legs from hanging and holding the trapeze. The rest of the people at the areal class was really nice and I really liked the friendly atmosphere, and I got to learn some new moves as well.

At this photo you can see some silks, trapezes and ropes. This is when everyone is about to take away the equipment, because when they are used there are always a crash mat underneath.


Today, we had manipulation and acrobatic practice. My back is sore from making to many forward rolls, but I feel a slight improvement. We also did cartwheels, headstands and handstands.

On the manipulation class we continued with our exercises and I really feel an improvement from last week. We also introduced rings and clubs, and since I had only tried clubs but not rings I went for them. I learnt how to juggle them and do a trick where you out the ring on your head. It was very funny. I also feel a little better doing my four balls exercises now than last week when I only wanted to proceed to five as fast as I could, but if there is one thing I remember from my time as a figure skater it is that basics are really important.

This photo shows how nice our teacher had arranged our props in the morning. I especially liked the "club pyramid" with all the clubs.


I have also booked bus tickets for London next weekend to see some old friends!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar