tisdag 18 februari 2014

Trapeze beginners class

I am not a natural talent in trapeze, and I have never had the chance to practice, so to try to catch up a little I attend the beginners areal class. This is the first time I had some pictures of me, and trapeze is definitely one of those things that feels good, and then when you look at the pictures you  wonder if that really is how it looks.


I imagine teaching trapeze can be tricky as well. The beginners evening classes starts with a warm up together, and then we split into groups with similar experience to share one trapeze for each group. Each group also have a volunteer teacher who helps, explains and spot for us. After the teacher has explained and demonstrated what we will do, we can the one at time have a go a try it all out. Once up in the trapeze, you are a little bit lost again, so the teacher will stand on the ground and explain what to do again. It is like being in a more three dimensional world hanging in the trapeze, because we cannot normally move in height in our daily lives.

Another tricky thing when learning trapeze is that it can be difficult to remember all the different positions and how to get in and out from them, so I have started to make some drawings and getting into the habit of taking photos and videos of others doing the positions and transitions. It is really helpful to have them when you think back of what you have learned and cant really remember.


If you are not used to doing trapeze, your hands and feet will quite quickly get sore and get blisters. It is also good to wear long tight pants and also a long sleeve shirt to avoid hurting your skin as a beginner. I actually even had to layers to avoid friction that could lead to blisters.

My top beginner tips of the day:

  • Point your toes all the time
  • If you try to go to jump to pike without touching the bar with your feet, feel like you are pulling down the bar with your arms at the same time as you are jumping up (I still cant do it though).
  • Try everything to see what it feels like to see where your current limits are.


My hands are a little bit hurt, but I think I will be fine until Thursday when we have our next aerial class in the CIP course.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar