söndag 23 februari 2014

Diabolo talk in Oddballs juggling store in a crowded Camden

Of course I had to visit the juggling store Oddballs in Camden in London. Even though juggling and circus can be a pretty narrow interest, there was a lot of people in the store.


I visited Oddballs last time when I was with my family in London, and I was about 14 or 15 years old i think. I bought my second pair of poi here and then I used that pair of poi for 5 years to learn almost every pattern I know. Last year i brought Podpoi from Flowtoys, and it took some time to get adjusted to Podpoi but now they are my favorite poi.

My memories from Oddballs was that there was not so many people there and that the staff was extremely helpful and seemed really excited about juggling. This time was no exception, and even though there were many people in the shop the staff took their time to help everyone that had questions of simply just wanted to look or try things out. 

I looked mostly at diabolos and juggling balls. The staff showed me different kinds of diabolos since I don't know very much about diabolos even though I enjoy spinning them. I am sure I had my diabolos when I was 14 so they are at least 6 years old. There was a new type of diabolo with a loose "center part" that would only spin in one direction (only for right handed people), which would make it possible to spin much faster, but also made it harder to do some tricks like the classic "elevator" trick. 

We talked about what diabolos that were the best in general and for two diabolos, since I am currently learning two diabolos. Our manipulation teacher at the course recommended Sundia, which was also recommended by the Oddballs guy, but he said his favourite was Typhoon from juggledream. I don't need to buy diabolos at the moment since I can borrow from Greentop, but it is still interesting to hear others opinions about different props. Juggling is sometimes "prop depending" so in order to do some tricks it is a lot better if you have appropriate props. Visiting Oddballs felt like being a child in a toy store.

Bonus reading for Swedish readers about the meaning of the word oddball:
Oddball betyder enligt min googlade översättning kuf eller orginal, vilket gör det till ett fyndigt namn för en jongleringsbutik, eftersom odd ball särskrivet skulle betyda udda boll.


I spent the rest of the Sunday afternoon walking around in Camden, and it was sunny and nice weather with a lot of people everywhere. When I went to the underground station to go back, it was closed due to prevent overcrowding.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar