onsdag 26 mars 2014

The Guardian Juggling article today

CircusFest: meet the jugglers taking the artform to dizzy heights

In todays internet version of The Guardian there is an article about juggling, where they meet juggler of today and discuss juggling as an art form. I especially liked the paragrapgh about drops as they are unenviable to do at some point. 
"Some jugglers become crippled by the fear of dropping," says Rod Laver, who juggles ping-pong balls with his mouth and who also teaches at the National Centre for Circus Arts. "They just can't take it. One of the things we try and teach students is how to deal with the drop, to work it into their act and even make a virtue of it. Otherwise it can finish careers."
I find it difficult dealing with drops and mistakes, but I have definitely become better at it during the course. I agree that there is a bit of shame dropping a prop and it doesn't really add any excitement or anything. At the moment, I tent to save drops by going into comedy. I still don't know how to save a drop or mistake in a serious routine yet, but I hope I will soon figure out. To me it seems like comedy or just any interaction with the audience can save a lot of mistakes.


"There is a huge level of competiveness among jugglers, and to get any good you have to spend a lot of time on your own, go into the zone and not think about other things. Most girls and women are far too social to want to do that for months, maybe years on end," says Kati Ylä-Hokkala. 
This quote I strongly disagree with, because sure it is true that it takes a lot of time getting good at juggling, I don't think there is an easy answer why women are less likely to do it. "Far too social" doesn't mean that you cannot practice and be social at the same time. I think there are both the type of jugglers who like to practice by their own and those who like to practice together.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar