torsdag 25 september 2014

Dreamy space bubble - Underart in Gothenburg

I am a big fan of Cirkus Cirkör's productions and shows, but I have never been a big fan of their trailers. I have seen Inside Out, Wear it like a Crown and Knitted Peace and loved the shows but not the trailers for them. The trailer for Underart is 10 minuets long with a man standing on his head in a fish bowl, and that it all. It is not very up beat, but it is interesting. The trailer certainly don't give anything away.

Underart is a clean and futuristic show about the director and former acrobat Olle Strandberg's crach when he broke his neck, and the way back again. I could imagine that in that jump, it felt like time was slowing down and during just a second a thousand thoughts would run through your mind. That is the feeling I got from the show.

There where very different circus skills showed in this show from  Methinee Wongtrakoon (acrobat), Alexander Dam (street dance), Matias Salmenaho (juggling and acrobatics), Iris Pelz and Christpher Schlunk (partner acrobatics). I especially liked the group performances with hoola hoop or som kind of dance where enev the musicians join in!


Image Source
Methinee Wongtrakoon does some interesting movement, maybe reflecting how it is when you loose the control of your body. The street dance by Alexander Dam was also very good with his locking moves. he also did a balancing act that I dont want to give away but I watched from beginning to end with out closing my eyes even if it was a very slow paced number.

The partner and group acrobatics was impressive with the strength and coordination between Matias Salmenaho, Iris Pelz and Christpher Schlunk.

The muic for this show is made by the duo Ripple and Murmur (Anna Ahnlund and Andreas Tengblad), and I really like their dreamy electronic sound. I would actually have been very happy to attend a concert with only them as well. Their music matches the visual theme and the acts well. They both play the guitar, bass, violin, and my favourite instrument theremin!

Even though I liked the individual parts I couldn't really see the connection to Olle Strandbergs crash landing, and the tension and pace (with some exceptions) was quite the same. I think it has more potential that the current state, with some more changes. I would have liked to see more from this show, and to me this one doesn't beat Knitting Peace or Wear it like a Crown.

But if you have seen the trailer and then the show: Don't worry: There will be headstands in glass bowls!

Image source

Cirkus Cirkör's Underart homepage (SWE/ENG)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar