onsdag 9 september 2015

Trying to overcome some fear of acrobatics at Balance Camp in Gagnef

In the middle of august I attended Balance Camp in Gagnef. Balance Camp is a camp that focused mainly on balance activities and unicycling, but when I registered for which workshops to attend I decided to pick acrobatic ones since I really want to learn some of that. The biggest obstacle is that I have some mental fear of doing acrobatics, but I decided to try to face that fear and learn some new things.

During the two days I did floor acrobatic, air track and trampoline. I also spend quite a lot of time trying to learn to do a back flip with some helpful spotters, and some lindy hop inspired back flip throws. I tried to jump with unicycle for the first time, and did some slack line walking. In the mornings we did SUP (stand up paddling board) on the river. During the air track class I almost learnt how to do a hand spring!

Since the weather was so nice everyone where out at the camp practising or watching others practise, and there was opportunities to practice the things learnt in the workshops or just using the equipment. There where trampolines, air track, crash mats, slack lines, SUPs, trial track for unicycling, juggling equipment, and indoor practise hall and a big grass field.

During the camp I tried to do things that I don't normally do and trying to overcome the fear of rotating with the head moving up or down. I must say that even though I am still quite afraid of doing acrobatics, I am a little less afraid now. I figure skating I learned the importance of trust in yourself when doing things, and this trust is definitely needed in acrobatics as well and I am slowly working on building that. 

Discussing how to improve our partner acrobatics back flip. Photo borrowed from Unitwins Facebook page
There where many unicyclist attending the camp and on Saturday evening there was an informal flatland competition that was nice to watch, both because it was the first unicycle competition I have watched and some of Sweden's best unicyclist where competing.

If you are considering going to Balance Camp an upcoming year I would recommend it. The camp was very organized with a lot of information on the website, mail and on the site, easy registration, home cooked food and nice sleeping rooms. The workshops were good and there was a lot of both equipment and space at the facility, which was a farm next to Dalälven river, as well as nice people that would share their skills.

Balance Camp website (In Swedish)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar